Intestacy – what is an Administrator?

If you have not named an executor in your Will, or the executor named in your Will is unwilling or unable to act as your executor, or you die intestate (i.e. without leaving a valid Will), somebody, usually one of your next-of-kin, must apply to the court to be appointed the administrator of your estate on your death. Your spouse is the first person who can apply. If you have no spouse or if your spouse is unwilling or unable to be the administrator, then a relative can apply. The administrator is often required by the court to post a bond to ensure that your estate is administered and distributed according to law.